Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grandma Hallie's Baking Powder Biscuits


My Grandma Hallie made the best baking powder biscuits ever! Unfortunately, I am unable to find her exact recipe. Maybe it was never written down.

Grandma died in 1966 and I still miss her. In fact, I think about her almost every day. Lately I have been on a quest to at least come close to her biscuits - mouthwatering delicious.

I found two recipes that are very similar, but vary enough to include both. Maybe try them both the same day and see which one draws the most kudos. I will include one in this post and the other in the next post.

The first is from Kitchen Scrapbook, a book my mother had that was distributed by The Reilly & Lee Co. copyright 1937. It is approximately 4 1/2 by 7 1/4 inch hard cover spiral bound yellow book with a bright red spiral. It is indexed with recipes on the front of each tabbed page, then there are five blank pages before the next tab.

Mom signed her maiden name, so she must have received it prior to her marriage. She wrote a number of recipes down, then gave it to me when I was still in my early teens. There are also several recipes that I added, and according to my writing I must have been quite young. I started baking when I was nine or ten.

Baking Powder Biscuit Recipe - 1

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp shortening
2/3 c milk

Sift dry ingredients, cut in shortening, add flour. Pat down on floured board and cut out with biscuit cutter. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in hot oven, 450 F.

Do you have a favorite recipe from your grandmother? Have you every matched her cooking ability?

No comments: