Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homemade Pancakes

Usually I make pancakes using Bisquick or some other brand of mix, but yesterday when I went to the cupboard - it was bare. Therefore, back to the basics.

I reached for my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook and made pancakes from scratch. The only variation in the recipe below was due to lack of buttermilk. I used 2% instead.

The pancakes turned out much softer and fluffier than the mixes. They didn't take much longer to make and were well worth the time. I just may go back to homemade every time.

For the sake of space, I will put the alternate changes when using "sweet milk" in parenthesis.

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (sweet milk)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil or melted shortening
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder (add 2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. soda (omit)
1/2 tsp salt

Blend egg, milk and oil. Blend dry ingredients together. Add to liquids; beat with rotary beater until all flour is moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.

Grease heated griddle until a sprinkle of water sizzles. Pour batter from pitcher or tip of large spoon in pools slightly apart. Turn pancakes as soon as they are puffed and full of bubbles, but before bubbles break. Turn and brown on other side. Serve immediately with butter and syrup, or your favorite topping.

For extra fluffy pancakes, beat egg yolk, add milk, etc. Fold in stiffly beaten egg white.

No comments: